Leveraging The Social Media Club to Make 2012 a Year to Remember


Welcome to a brand new year where opportunities to bring in new clients, learn new skills and meet interesting people are available to each and every one of us. 

Every year is an opportunity for a new beginning and an opportunity to think creatively starting with what we have, a foundation if you will, from which we can build, develop and grow from.   

What better way than to start by asking how we can all leverage the immense knowledge within the Social Media Club by making 2012 a year to remember.   Think about it, by adding the average age of each member amounts to thousands of years of expertise.  Of course that requires participation on our part.  

In 2010 Forrester Research introduced the Social Technographics data classifying consumers into seven overlapping levels of social technology participation where it was suggested that approximately 1% of people using social technology are providing the most content and participation.  The rest of the 99% descend down the ladder into the majority of people who just consume and do little else.  What a waste.  

Where do you fit in that classification within Social Media Club?  Whether you have a free or paid membership should not stop you from participating and you don’t have to be known or do anything big. 

In ‘Start Something That Matters  Blake Mycoskie’s (Tom Shoes) points our that you don’t have to start a business or a big initiative to make an impact, just start something simple that you can believe in. 

In her blog post Booked on Tuesday: Musings of Book Addict – Lessons I Learned in 2011,’ Avil Beckford offers twelve insights she has taken away in 2011 that can be applied to making 2012 your year.  Here are a few:

  1. Persistence pays
  2. Where you start out in life does not determine where you’ll end up.
  3. You can accomplish a lot more when you collaborate with people whose skills compliment yours.

The message in Arlene Dickinson’s book ‘Persuasion’ is that the most important person you need to persuade is you. If you can’t believe in what you do, how can you persuade others to have confidence in you?

It doesn’t take much to participate. The difference between hot water and boiling water is ONE degree.  The video 212 degrees by Sam Parker suggests how one degree of effort and attention can separate the good from the great and have a big impact on results.  

No-one ever does it alone; and this is where the Social Media Club comes in. In 2011, I was accepted to be part of the Social Media Club’s editorial team; my focus was to keep my commitment to write a monthly article for one year.  

As a corporate educator I believe strongly in creating healthy learning environments where people can participate in their own learning through conversation and collaboration.   I have chosen to continue in 2012 but with a twist, to showcase some amazing people within the Social Media Club; after all the tagline is “If you get it, share it,” so, in 2012 I want my articles to include more tutorials, podcasts, videos, templates, and stories about what you do.  

I hope you will connect with me via Social Media Club and let me know what you are doing.  What better way to learn and succeed than to read, watch and listen to people who are experimenting, exploring and creating new and interesting ways to use social media to find and do great work.

Let’s leverage the immense opportunities that are within the Social Media Club to help us all do great work and make 2012 a year to remember.

Happy New Year everyone!

The Alchemy of Great Work

http://socialmediaclub.org/blogs/from-the-clubhouse/leveraging-social-media-club-make-2012-year-remember