Confessions of a Twitterholic
There was silence for a moment. So of course I tried to fill the silence. I piped up: “Hi, I’m Prakky, and I’m a Twitterholic”.
Everyone laughed. I don’t know why – it was true. (I suspect that a few might have laughed because they’re Twitterholics too, while at least one laughed nervously, perhaps thinking: “Shit, I knew I shouldn’t have come to one of these #socadl tweetups!)
Now, I’m not sure of all the steps you take when you attend Alcoholics Anonymous, but from what I’ve seen in Hollywood movies, ‘fessing up and outlining your addiction stories are mandatory. So here goes with some Twitterholic confessions:
- I do sometimes tweet while walking down the street.
- I do stop walking in the street, letting people bump into me, while I tweet.
- I have tweeted while laying down in bed.
- I have woken in the morning and checked Twitter before I get up.
- When I owned a Nokia E71, I got sore thumbs from tweeting.
- I have accidentally retweeted myself.
- I have bumped into my own scheduled tweets in cyberspace.
- I have checked my Klout, my Twellow score, Twitrank and many other ways of fruitlessly assessing my ‘worth’ in the Twitterverse.
- I have unfollowed an annoying person on Twitter. Then checked their tweets to see if they bitched about me.
- I have tweeted during a favourite TV show and missed ‘a good part’.
- I have wished somebody would shut up so I could check my tweets.
These are just a few random Twitterholic symptoms. Do you recognise any? What have you found yourself doing with Twitter?
* Socadl stands for ‘Social Adelaide’ and denotes a group of social media enthusiasts who often get together in Adelaide, South Australia, for tweetups face to face, and lots of learning and sharing online. Follow @socadl on Twitter.