Facebook Changes For Me — and You
I want to delete my Facebook account.
I’ve wanted to do this for years.
Because of my roles as a city councilor and a board director and how Facebook is almost required for constituent relations, I can’t delete my account.
But I can refrain myself.
I can force myself to only use groups and pages — where my hats intersect with others — without writing new updates or comments.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before.
To prove that I am serious, I wrote the following message on my Facebook wall so my friends/followers can keep me in check.
I also unfriended a lot of people who aren’t family or close friends. (Some may have slipped through the cracks during my sweeping so if I unfriended you by accident, invite me back!)
- Julia Angwin on reducing friends to zero
- Rachel Jonat on not missing Facebook
- Bonnie Gillespie on unplugging herself
- Dan Pearce on 35 reasons to unfriend
- Brendon Walsh on 6 types of Facebook users
- My thoughts on following instead of friending