Hulu Plus – worth $10 a month?
WIN A Hulu Plus Invite – Read More Below!
A month or so ago Hulu announced their new subscription service, Hulu Plus. For $9.99 a month you can get unlimited access to almost the entire Hulu catalogue of past and new TV shows and movies. That means you can catch up on popular shows like 30 Rock, The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, House and more. Probably the best part though, is it lets you watch from your computer, iPhone, iPad, or PSP. More devices and services are also integrating Hulu everyday.
If you’re not familiar with Hulu, its a service owned by NBC, FOX (News Corp.) and Disney. They have agreements with NBC, ABC, Disney, FOX and hundreds of other networks and media companies to carry their TV shows and content. You can watch current and past TV shows on the website for free, with limited advertisements mixed in (usually only 3-4 commercials per show – must less than TV). Usually new episodes of popular shows are only available on the website for a few weeks. Only some of the past episodes are available for free. With a Hulu Plus subscription you get access to all past episodes as well as all new episodes, for as long as you want.
Its a great service to consider if you’re jumping on the “cord-cutting” bandwagon and ditching a Cable or Satellite service. You’ll be able to watch the majority of your favorite shows using the service, and only pay a $9.99/month fee.
- A deep catalogue of content, including full seasons and full series of most of your favorite TV shows.
- Very mobile if you have Apple devices (iPhone & iPad), or a laptop computer.
- Beautiful & easy to use.
- Not an impressive collection of movies (no new releases)
- Noticeably missing content from popular Cable networks such as TNT (The Closer, Dark Blue), TBS (Conan!), and AMC (Mad Men, Rubicon).
- Hard to watch on your TV – not a lot of mainstream devices integrating it yet (However, more are coming in 2011)
Netflix’s Watch Instantly service has roughly the same content and is integrated into more devices. You also get a much better movie selection with Netflix. Personally I don’t see the value yet in having both subscriptions – although as soon as Hulu Plus is available on Tivo or a device I already have then I’ll likely give it a go. If they had TNT and AMC then I’d already make it work.
Hulu Plus is still in invite only Beta, which means not everyone can sign up yet. But today may be your lucky day to try it out.
We’ve got 1 invite and we’d love to give it to you today!
Here’s what you’ve got to do to get it:
1. Tweet or Post on Facebook the following:
“Win a Hulu Plus invite, today at www.AskJD.tv”
2. Then comment below with a link to your Facebook or Twitter post. One winner will be chosen at random and notified via Facebook or Twitter with the invite code.