1. Facebook Gifts
- Can be sent directly from Facebook to a user – Starbucks gift cards, etc. Free (no user fees) and easy to use.
2. Facebook Charging for Messages
- Facebook is experimenting with a feature that will charge users to send messages to people they’re not friends with. Cost will vary depending on how big that person’s social network is (i.e. it costs $100 to send Mark Zuckerberg a message)
- Why might this be so? – To avoid spammers, or as an opportunity to make more money after going public?
3. Every Signal
- Service advertised on google search page – searches social media posts for certain key words (e.g. “vacation” “new car”) and then directly sends those users emails about the products they are marketing. Intent is to “reach consumers right at the moment they’re willing to make a purchase”
- General consensus: seems pretty annoying/a little creepy – how would you be able to opt in or out?
4. Chrome Laptop
Thanks to everyone who attended Taco Vino III! We had a lot of familiar faces and many new faces, too! Once again, Lloyd's Taco Truck served up their famous duck tacos and we had the perfect setting at Just Vino. Our VIP hour ensured VIP guests didn't have to wait in line for wine and tacos. This year we saw lots of new raffle prizes with donations from Wegmans and Anna Grace, to name a few, and from our sponsor of the evening, Tops. Guests had fun writing their answers to "I tweet because..." and "My favorite part of the holiday season is..." on whiteboards, which we took pictures of and posted to the Instagram account (@smcbuffalo)! The club was also collecting donations for the Food Bank of WNY.
Social media tools are changing the education landscape. These tools tend to fall into two broad categories: those primarily intended for social networking, such as Facebook or Twitter, and those that are designed for sharing user-generated content such as blogs, YouTube, or Flickr. It is the mixture of informality and ease of updating that makes social media approaches so appealing, whether mainstream tools are used, or whether niche or local social media tools are installed or developed.