November Event Recap: Jason Sadler of I Wear Your Shirt
What is I Wear Your Shirt?
IWYS is a social marketing company with a unique approach, started by Sadler in 2008. Companies buy a day out of the year with IWYS and in return, Jason and each of his 4 fellow shirt wearers hit the social media streets and create a slew of content using youtube, twitter, facebook, and ustream.com, all while wearing the company's t-shirt. Genious, right?
After an hour of socializing, networking and enjoying a few drinks with fellow SMCJAX members, Jason began his presentation and answered a number of questions that were sent to him in advance, via twitter, Facebook and E-mail.
Jason gave an engaging presentation that touched on a wide variety of topcis, from ROI to managing virtual employees. A few of the main takeaways included:
- Hard work is the key to the success of IWYS; Jason's business is his life.
- IWYS doesn't promise traffic, sales or followers. Instead, Jason and his team sell the content that is created. (via Aliera Peterson @MusesFled)
- Today, the IWYS team had 5 YouTube videos, 5 Ustream broadcasts, tweeted to 40k followers, reached 20,000 on Facebook and 1 created blog post. (via @smcjax and @nickcicero) That is a lot of content reaching a lot of people!
- If he had to choose one social media platform it would be Twitter, because it is an open platform that encourages engagement. Connecting with people and engaging with them is the heart and soul of IWYS and social media. Jason stressed the importance of engaging with your "friends" (referring to followers, fans and e-mail subscribers) because it's a privledge to have them as part of your community.
- The presentation concluded with a few wise words to live by: "Listen to your gut. 99% of the time your instincts will lead you in the right direction. Be willing to listen to yourself." And as Jason stated, if you get one thing from this presentation, it is "focus more, do less."
After the presentation concluded, a few lucky folks walked away with raffle prizes provided by The Jacksonville Landing, Hooters at the Jacksonville Landing, Adventure Landing and Buzz Magazine. Congratulations to the winners!
A huge thank you to Jason Sadler and I Wear Your Shirt, Nippers Beach Grille, The Jacksonville Landing, Hooters at the Jacksonville Landing, Adventure Landing, Buzz Magazine and everyone that made it out for this month's event for making this event a great success.
If you want more details from the event, you can search #smcjax on twitter where it was tweeted live.