Board Member Profiles: Darin “Doc” Berntson
VP of Communications for SMCSLC
Hey there, thanks for stopping by to learn a little but more about me.
I was born and raised here in the Salt Lake City area. After high school I went straight to the family fireplace wholesale/retail business. I went from sales, to management and ended my tenure there as President before selling the company in 2001.
Since then, I have been flirting with entrepreneurship. I have started 4 companies, Doc Concierge (where my nickname started and stuck), All Aces Marketing, WSI, and Local Joints TV. LJTV was my baby, and I loved that almost more than any of the other companies. Though, what I have learned and have been able to do is internet marketing and social media has been incredible.
I am now employed by SEO.com, a Search Engine Optimization and internet marketing agency. I stared there in 2010 as a SEO Specialist, moved on to Account Executive, took over as Social Media Manager, and now serve as the Senior Community Manager for the company.
I have a beautiful Peruvian wife who puts up with me, and my incurable desire to never not be working on something (not to mention my sick and disturbing addiction to watching too much TV). She is also kind enough to dress me, as I have no style. I have a teenage son who just got his own car, and I could not be more proud of my kiddo.
You can usually find me at many local events such as SMCSLC of course, in addition to SLC|SEM, Social Commerce Exchange, Team Awesome (yup it’s awesome), and as many national events I can go to a year!
And now, the rapid fire portion (Similar to what Brandon Carter did)
- Favorite Beverage: Coke Zero on tap, Diet Mountain Dew and Cherry Coke Zero
- Favorite Adult Beverage: Beer (currently Heineken Light)… also like a foo foo Margarita now and again
- Favorite Food: Mexican, Pizza, Burgers and my own concoctions like the “Doc-Wich” and my “Docos”
- Favorite TV Show: Are you kidding? That’s a hard question for an addict. But, today, it’s Fringe, Walking Dead, and American Horror Story
- Favorite Chip: Potato Skins. They are made from potatoes, and skins that are real!
- Where I would rather be any day of the week: Disneyland (maybe Hawaii, but I seriously do not know how to relax, though I need it)
- Books or Audio Books?: Audio Books, too much ADD to read
- Podcasts?: Yes Please… new favorite thing to consume in the car, on the way to work
- Email or Twitter: Twitter – Email is my nemesis
- Voice Mail?: Seriously… do not even try that on me unless you really do not want to hear back. You have been warned
Anyway, that is a little about me. If you would like to know more, just ask. I can be found easiest on Twitter @iGoByDoc. All my other profiles are listed on my About.me profile… and you can visit my blog as well if you like. It’s a little dusty as of this post though. Oh, connect on LinkedIn too… it’s what the cool kids do!
Until next time…