Email is Still Alive!
- Our February meeting focused on an often looked-over, yet integral part of your social media plan: Email Marketing.
The three often misunderstood concepts for email marketing include:
Building Your List...How to do it the right way
Though you can purchase lists or gather lists through third-party marketing, neither are ways to get true subscribers. Oftentimes, people who receive these third-party marketing emails will consider it a violation of their privacy and mark your content as spam. Instead, build your list the right way...
- Put a subscription form on your website, Facebook Page or Blog
- Add a "Get our Email Updates and Specials" URL or QR code to your print marketing
- Suggest customers get on the email list in your on-hold phone message
Generating Strong Marketing Ideas
One reason people don't use email as a marketing tool is because they don't know what to send. In addition to newsletters, the following are some easy to impliment ideas.
- Create contests that work together with your social media spaces like a contest for generating new "likes"
- Offer seasonal coupons, share industry trends or highlight special products to reach customers in different areas of your business
- Give weekly (or even daily) specials via email, depending on your industry and the buying behavior of your customers.
Keeping the Integrity
Aside from building your list properly with opt-ins, email marketers should consider the personal nature of social media, even in email.
- Use a person's email as the sender instead of an "info@" address to create a friendly rapport
- Give your subscribers what you said you'd give them when they opted in...if you offered weekly specials, send them weekly specials!
- Ask for replies to your email. Encourage feedback, conversation and interaction. Don't make it a one-way conversation.
Guest discussion leader, Betsie Hagerman, who has developed international email campaigns with lists in the hundred thousands, also suggested the following tips:
- Have a strong strategy to get opens with strong calls to action
- Use 50 characters or less in the subject line
- Watch for sales spikes by monitoring your Google analytics
- Add opt-in text to your email subscription areas "you are opting in to receive...," including:
- Online account registration
- Information Request forms
To get meeting and event updates for the Springfield Social Media Club, Subscribe to Our Email List