RECAP: 411 on 911 Event
On November 8, the Tacoma chapter met to get the “411 on 911,” or learn how emergency communications take place in social media.
A panel of communications professionals including the Washington State Department of Transportation, American Red Cross Rainier Chapter, Pierce County Emergency Management and Washington State Patrol District 1 talked about how they prepare and work through emergency communications online, particularly through Twitter. SMC board member Kevin Freitas moderated the panel.
Conversation highlights included:
- How they began using or learning social media
- How they use social media in their jobs
- How they use Facebook and Twitter differently
- How social media has greatly benefited the work that they do
- Social media mistakes
- Protocol for natural disaster scenarios