Next Meeting: Friday, May 8,Â 2009
Our meetings are free and open to the public. We meet to share and develop best practices for using social media and social networks to build our personal brands, our businesses, and support our community.
If the internet is nice, we will be live streaming here.
UPDATE May 4th: Due to the tremendous interest in our topic on Ethics in Social Media, we have decided to postpone that until the July meeting, when we will have a full panel discussion that will be the main event of that meeting. If you want to recommend a speaker, please use the submission form (see link in top right nav bar too.)
UPDATE May 7th: Due to the many submissions to our non-profit contest, we are going to let them speak first so the voting can then be done online while Roz gives us her amazing presentation. Mahalo nui for going with our ever-changing flow!
The meeting proper is 5:30 – 7:00 pm.
Feel free to come early/stay late and visit at the ING DIRECT Cafe.
5:00 – 5:30 pm Optional networking and meeting setup
5:30 – 5:35 pm Welcome & Orientation – Kelly Mitchell
5:35 – 6:10 pm Non-profit presentations. All non-profit entries will be given
2 minutes 90 seconds to present their business, objectives and goals and how they see social media playing a role in assisting them. Please see previous blog post for more information. Non-profits are eligible to submit an entry until 5:30 pm on May 8. The current list is here for your review.
6:10 – 6:25 pm Break, mingle, and voting for non-profit partner (Voting will continue until 6:45 pm.)
6:25 – 6:50 pm Guest Presentation: Roz Savage
6:50 – 7:00 pm Announcement of our non-profit partner, membership prize drawing (Gift Certificate* from Longhi’s, courtesy of Ed Morita!), and closing discussion.
*You must be a registered member of the Social Media Club to be eligible for the Gift Certificate drawing.
Visiting Guest Presenter: Roz Savage
As an environmental campaigner, Roz uses her ocean adventures to raise awareness and inspire action on the tough environmental challenges facing our planet. She is a social media enthusiast and will speak to us on how she uses blogs, podcasts, photos, videos, tweets and Facebook to share her adventures with people around the world. She is indeed a rare woman who can both row across oceans solo and use Twitter and blogging effectively!
ING DIRECT Cafe
1958 Kalakaua Ave.
A few more notes:
- Bring your business cards and your business colleagues!
- We have started an informal lending library. Bring a book if you want to share. Please return any books you have borrowed previously as we like to keep the checkout period to one month.
- If you blog or Twitter about this event, please tag it: #smchi
- If you take pictures, please join our Flickr group and add your meeting photos to our pool.
- Speaking of pictures, social media events generally have people taking photos, live-streaming video, and posting real time updates on Twitter and their blogs. We can assist if you prefer to stay under the radar; just speak to any of us before the meeting begins.
- Mahalo to Cleo Brown and ING Direct for hosting our event and providing valet parking at their spectacular space.