What you missed: LinkedIn Groups
Who knew LinkedIn could be such fun?
It was a full house for our first event of the year held at our new host venue, historic Fuller Hall at YWCA Laniakea in downtown Honolulu. In addition to great networking and learning, guests were able to order pupus and cocktails from Cafe Julia‘s new Pau Hana menu.
Using LinkedIn Groups like a pro (what you missed):
Some of the helpful tips shared include:
- Even with a FREE LinkedIn account, you can eke out great value and join up to 50 groups. Be aware, however, that there is a pay-wall and some of the most powerful features of LinkedIn lie behind it.
- Reasons for your business (or nonprofit) to create a Group include: to serve as a resource, establish your brand, build reputation, recruit, and even groom future employees (or volunteers, donors, etc.).
- As an individual, joining a Group can help you stay current on industry trends, cultivate a virtual sounding board of peers, seek expert advice, troll for business leads, maintain or grow your professional network, establish yourself as a thought leader, and even open doors to new opportunities as a passive job-seeker.
- Whether you are creating or joining a Group, be clear about your goals before jumping-in, i.e., what do you hope to gain from your involvement?
Of course, I’ve left out some of the juiciest nuggets which you can only find by watching our recording of the panel discussion, here.
AND…if you haven’t already joined us on LinkedIn, now is the time:
- Social Media Club: Hawaii Chapter (SMCHI): an open group for everyone to ask questions, share insights, and get information on the changing world of social media.
- Professional, Education, NonProfit & Business Members of SMCHI: a professionals-only group for dues paying members of SMCHI. If you’re a Small Business, Professional, Government or Student Member, join us here.
A BIG mahalo to our wise and entertaining panelists:
Dan Beeman: Since starting in 2008, the Sponsorship Insights LinkedIn Group has grown to over 11,000 members from around the country. This group is an independent, community developed by Dan. Dan shared why he started his group and how he has managed to grow it so successfully over the last 5 years.
Beth Busch: Recruitment Advertising Consultant & Entrepreneur; Producer of Hawaii’s Largest Career Fairs. As Hawaii’s leading LinkedIn expert, Beth shared her insight as to how using LinkedIn groups can benefit your business networking, as well as her strategies behind joining them.
Sylvia Dahlby: If you spend anytime on LinkedIn groups in Hawaii, you’ll run across Sylvia’s name. She’s a LinkedIn Group power member as an active member of 45 LinkedIn Groups. Learn why she invests so much time in LinkedIn Groups and her tips for using LinkedIn Groups as a professional.
Matt DiGeronimo: Founder and senior managing director for Hawaii’s largest Mergers & Acquisitions/Business Brokerage company, Smith Floyd Hawaii. Matt hosts the “The Smith Floyd Water Cooler“, a weekly radio show. He is a top contributor and influencer in many Hawaii LinkedIn Groups including Hawaii Business Magazine Network.
Mahalo to our event sponsors who make us look good:
- Cafe Julia at YWCA Laniakea
- High Technology Development Corporation (HTDC) whose sponsorship supports our event livestream and recording