What personal information do we collect from our users?
Automatically Collected InformationWhen you visit the Site or Service, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, mobile device, IP address, unique device identifiers, software and hardware attributes (including the type of operating system you use), approximate geographic location, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device (collectively, “Device Information”). Additionally, as you browse the Service, we collect information about how you use the Service, such as the date and time you logged in, the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Service, and information about how you interact with the Service and other users (collectively, “Usage Information”).
Information You ProvideAdditionally, when you visit the Service, we may either require or collect “Personal Information.” Personal Information is information that could personally identify you, for example, your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, birth date, employer, and requested payment information. Personal Information does not include any data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). For purposes of this policy, your Device Information and Usage Information is included within the discussion of “Personal Information” (unless we clearly state otherwise herein). In the following instances, we collect and require you to actively submit Personal Information:
- When you sign up for and purchase a paid subscription with Social Media Club (whether you are an individual or an individual acting on behalf of a company), you need to provide your name, email address, phone number, and employer, as well your billing address and payment information (based on the payment method you choose) (collectively, “Payment Information”).
- When you set up and use your profile with Social Media Club, you also have the option to provide us with specific profile data, such as your first and last name, username, password, display name, social media pages, websites, employer, and any additional details you decide to share as part of your biography. Only your username, display name, and email are required when you set up your profile (“Required Profile Data”).
- When you contact us with a question or concern, you may be required to provide certain personal information like your name, email, mailing address, and/or phone number.
- When you sign up to receive marketing communications, such as our newsletter or updates about the Service, you must provide us with your email address.
- When you respond to a survey or enter a promotion provided through the Service, you may be required to provide your name, email address, mailing address, and/or phone number.
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. A cookie may enable the website owner to track how a visitor navigates through its website and the areas in which they show interest. This is similar to a traffic report: it tracks trends and behaviors, but does not identify individuals. Information gathered may include date and time of visits, pages viewed, time spent at the site, and the website visited just before and just after a visit to our Service. Cookies can be set to expire: (1) on a specified date; (2) after a specific period of time; (3) when a transaction has been completed; or (4) when a user turns off his/her Internet browser. A cookie that is erased from memory when a visitor’s Internet browser closes is called a “session” cookie. Cookies that expire based on a time set by the Web server are called “persistent” cookies.Our Service may use both “session cookies” and “persistent cookies”. Most people do not know that cookies are being placed on their computers when they visit our Service or most websites because browsers are typically set to accept cookies. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Our Service uses anonymous cookies to track information on your browsing history on the Services, and third-party advertising networks, such as Google AdSense and AdRoll, use the information to serve ads to you on Our behalf on other sites throughout the Internet. For more information or to opt-out of this type of advertising, please visit AdRoll’s and Google AdSense’s privacy policies.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Service, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Service.
How do we use the information we collect?We use your Device Information and Usage Information to monitor the usage of our Service, assess its performance, ensure technological compatibility with your computer or mobile device, and understand the relative importance of the information provided on our Service. We may also use this data to conduct statistical analyses on visitors’ usage patterns and other aggregated data. We do this to improve and optimize our Service for you. We also use your Device Information and Usage Information to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address). Each of these uses is an essential part of making the website accessible and functioning properly, and therefore serves a legitimate interest of the company. We use the Personal Information you provide us in order to perform basic business functions. This may include communicating with you, processing any requests by you, identifying and fixing any problems with the Service, and otherwise making the Service available to you. Our use of this Personal Information is most commonly based on our legitimate business purposes or other lawful bases set forth below. When we make a decision to use your information for our legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) to ensure that our rights or interests do not override your fundamental rights and interests. We also use your Personal Information in order to perform the contractual relationship with our subscribers (or prospective subscribers), and where we have your specific consent, typically, though not always, for marketing purposes only. See the “Communications” section below for more information. As referenced above, we may use your Personal Information for legitimate business purposes or other lawful bases, including to:
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business, our Service, and other products and services we offer
- Aggregate certain information that does not include your Personal Information and disclose it for analysis, demographic profiling and/or targeted advertising
- Provide you with technical service and support, including updates
- Tailor the content we display in our communications with you and/or improve your user experience
- Administer surveys and other market research
- Provide you with information regarding Social Media Club’s benefits and services
- Store, archive, retrieve, and make copies of your user generated content
- Process payments
- Renew your subscription/membership with Social Media Club
- Communicate with you
- Comply with legal requirements, judicial process, and our company policies (including to verify users’ identity in connection with access or correction requests)
- Protect against, identify, investigate, and respond to fraud, illegal activity (such as incidents of hacking or misuse of our Services), and claims and other liabilities, including by enforcing the terms and conditions that govern the services we provide
How do we share the information we collect?We do not rent or sell your Personal Information without your permission. However, may share your Personal Information with others for the purposes described below:
- We may share your Personal Information whenever you specifically consent to us doing so. For instance, you can elect to share your profile data with other members of Social Media Club via the main directory.
- We share your Required Profile Data with Social Media Club Chapter Leaders who have signed our required Ethics Form.
- We share your name and email address with MailChimp to assist with our email and marketing communications. For more information on how MailChimp uses your Personal Information, see: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/.
- We use Stripe, Inc. to process credit card transactions for your subscription and for renewals. Although we are able to process refunds or cancel memberships, where appropriate, you share your Payment Information directly with them. For more information on how Stripe uses this Personal Information, see: https://stripe.com/privacy
- We also use Eventbrite, Inc. to process credit card transactions and collect event fees for any Social Media Club events you sign up to attend. You share your Payment Information directly with them. For more information on how Eventbrite uses this Personal Information, see: https://www.eventbrite.com/support/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/eventbrite-privacy-policy?lg=en_US
- We share your Personal Information, Device Information and Usage Information with WordPress and MemberMouse, LLC (WordPress plug-in) in order to host and manage the Site and improve our Service for you. For more information on how WordPress and MemberMouse use this Personal Information, see: https://automattic.com/privacy/ and https://membermouse.com/privacy-policy/.
- In addition to the foregoing, we may share or disclose your Personal Information where necessary to provide you with the Service and/or associated services, including with trusted third-parties, such as consultants, attorneys, marketing agencies, accountants, and others who assist in operating the Service, providing any associated Social Media Club services, and otherwise conducting our business.
- We may share your Personal Information, where necessary, with Social Media Club’s parents, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, licensees, affiliates, or business partners.
- We may share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
- We may share your Personal Information when doing so is needed to help prevent against fraud or the violation of any applicable law, statute, regulation, ordinance, or treaty.
- We may disclose Personal Information you provide us in connection with the sale, assignment, or other transfer of the business or a portion of the business of the Site, including a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, sale of assets, or other corporate change of our company.
- We use Google mail to communicate with users. The contact form in the website is directly linked to our Google mail service, and Google mail has access to the information supplied through this contact form.
Aggregated DataWe may aggregate and/or de-identify any Personal Information, Usage Information or Device Information that you provide or we collect, such that the information no longer identifies any specific individual. We may use, disclose and otherwise process such information for our own legitimate business purposes – including historical and statistical analysis, marketing, and business planning – without restriction. However, if we combine or connect any aggregated data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat this combined data as Personal Information which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
GeneralWhen you provide us consent to do so, we will communicate with you through general marketing communications via email. You must affirmatively opt-in to receive these communications before you receive them.
Third-party MarketingWe will get your express opt-in consent before we share your Personal Information with any company outside the Social Media Club group of companies (or other third parties listed herein) for marketing purposes.
Opting OutRegardless of where you live, you may also opt-out of these marketing communications at any time by following the instructions provided in any marketing communication you receive. Please note that even if you opt-out of receiving marketing communications, you may still receive-business related communications, such as transactional emails.
Do Not TrackPlease note that we do not alter our Service’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
Access to and Managing Your Information; Opt-OutWe believe it is important for you to be able to: (1) find out what Personal Information you have provided to us through our Services; (2) update your information; or (3) “opt out” of receiving future marketing communications. To inquire about your Personal Information, update your Personal Information, or “opt out” of receiving future marketing communications or any other collection or use practice based on your consent, please send an email with your request and current contact information to [email protected] or through our Site’s contact form at https://socialmediaclub.org/contact-smc/. We generally respond to email requests within 24 hours of receiving a request, but it may take up to 30 days depending on the volume of requests we receive.
Your Rights to the Personal Information You ProvidePursuant to the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) put in place by the European Union, individual users within the EU have greater rights with respect to their personal data. At Social Media Club, we believe all users should be afforded such rights, and we will comply with the GDPR and those rights, except as limited by applicable law. You therefore have the right to access and control the Personal Information you provide us. These rights include the right to:
- Access your Personal Information;
- Correct, update, or delete your Personal Information;
- Withdraw or limit your consent (to Personal Information that was provided based on consent);
- Data portability of certain Personal Information;
- Object to us processing your Personal Information for reasons such as direct marketing purposes and for scientific or historical research or statistical purposes;
- Not be subject to automated decision-making, which includes profiling, where such decision-making could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes.
How We Protect Your InformationWe strive to maintain internal controls and procedures to ensure that the information you share with us is handled in a safe, secure and responsible manner. We have security measures, such as SSL encryption throughout the website, to help protect against loss, unauthorized access and alteration of the information in our control. We will only disclose such information to employees and authorized service providers who require such information for the purposes described in this Policy. Our databases are protected by physical, technical, and procedural measures that restrict access to authorized persons in accordance with this Policy. Although no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed 100% secure, and we cannot ensure against any loss, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, alteration, or destruction of data, we take reasonable precautions to prevent such unfortunate occurrences. Nevertheless, we cannot and do not guarantee that information you post on or transmit to the Service will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
California Privacy RightsUnder California’s “Shine the Light Law,” California residents have the right to receive information that identifies any third-party companies or individuals that Social Media Club has shared your Personal Information with in the previous calendar year, as well as a description of the categories of Personal Information disclosed to that third party. You may obtain this information once a year and free of charge by contacting Social Media Club at the address below.
Personal Information About ChildrenOur Service is targeted for use by adults only. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect age identifying information, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 16 years. However, we hereby advise all visitors to our site under the age of 16 not to disclose or provide any personally identifiable information on our Service. If you are concerned that Personal Information may have been inadvertently provided to or collected by Social Media Club, please contact us immediately so appropriate steps may be taken to remove such information from Social Media Club’s database.
Social Media Club, Inc. Attn: Caroline A. Jones 4470 W Sunset Blvd Suite 107, PMB 93999 Los Angeles, CA 90027-6309 [email protected];