In a report released last week by Altimeter Group, they studied more than fifty social media case studies gone wrong and discovered some surprising insights, among which was 76% of the crises could have been avoided by having proper training, staff, and a response process in place.
Some of the examples used as measure in this study are enterprise level, who often have resources at their disposal that SMB’s or entrepreneurs do not. So what does someone not on the enterprise level do? The Altimeter Group discovered a pattern in the advanced companies who had created the processes to handle potentially negative social media situations before they become social media fails,
Here’s a pattern we found from the advanced companies:
1) Foundation: First, develop a business plan and put governance in place.
2) Safety: Then, get organized by anointing a team and process to deal with crises.
3) Formation: Next, connect business units to increase coordination and reduce duplication.
4) Enablement: Grow by letting them prosper – give business units the support and flexibility to reach goals
5) Enlightenment: Finally, weave real-time market response into business processes and planning.
via Altimeter Group
To view the entire report, Social Business Readiness: How Advanced Companies Prepare Internally visit Jeremiah’s slideshare.