- More than half of the world’s population was born after the creation of the internet. That number will only increase until it reaches 100 percent.
- In 1999, 39 million people had broadband internet access. Today, 1.2 billion have it on their mobile phones.
- Twenty hours of video are uploaded to YouTube each minute. That is comparable to Hollywood releasing 86,000 films each week.
- On average, B2B customers are nearly 60% of the way through a purchase when they finally reach out to the supplier. Social media is a major reason why.
- Tumblr, Waze, and Instagram were all offered to be purchased for $1 billion each. The combined total profit for all three platforms is $0.
- There are 6.8 billion people on the planet. Four billion of them use a mobile phone. Only 3.5 billion of them use a toothbrush.
When asked why he did it, notorious bank robber Willie Sutton replied, “Because that’s where the money is.”
Social media is where the customers are – are you there?
Joe Yeager is a marketing analyst and social media administrator for a leading B2B manufacturer in the professional dental market. He is also a freelance writer and adjunct faculty member. Please follow him at @JosephMYeager.