SMCHI Grows Up and Out
Well, its official: Social Media Club of Hawaii (SMCHI) has finally attained (through its parent organization) 501c3 status. Anyone who has ever been to a free SMCHI event (and they are all free) can attest to the fact that SMCHI has always been a non-for-profit organization, but the new status makes it official.Â Along with this very formal designation comes another formality: a board of directors. A dedicated team of Professional Member volunteers has been working hard to develop responsibilities for each role and we’re almost there!
Once our responsibilities are finalized, we’ll offer our professional and small business membership an opportunity to vote and even nominate themselves for open positions, of which there are several.Â There are only a couple of requirements for nomination:
1) agree to the code of ethics for the board members
2) be a Professional or Small Business member of Social Media Club.
If you are a social media professional who would like to become more involved in the social media community, please feel free to nominate yourself or submit your interest and qualifications to the nomination board here. Voting will be closed on June 30th, 2011 and board members will initially server through the remainder of 2011.
Other changes are in the works as well:
- SMCHI is now holding our free educational community meetings quarterly: July, October, December (our now annual year-end party)
- Interactive Tweet-Ups will be held in the months of August and September. These are designed to support local businesses and organizations.
- Informal Tweet-ups may be additional scheduled as “needed.”
- Periodic Go-To meetings for our paid Professional and Business members to discuss topics of particular relevance to social media practitioners. They are currently scheduled for June and November; existing members will receive notification.
Along with our change in schedule, we’ll also be formalizing sponsorship opportunities for events and Tweet-ups, so if you are a business who wants to engage a wired and social community, please contact usfor more info! Sponsorship opportunities may include opportunities to host Tweet-Ups for the social media community – what a great way to kick off your social media campaign!
Our motto for the global Social Media Club organization is “If you get it, share it.” In that spirit, here is a copy of the notes of from the Professional and Business Member Retreat, available for download here