October 9: All About Flickr – Connecting with Photos
Our monthly gathering is Friday, October 9 at ING DIRECT Cafe! We are starting at 6:00 pm this month to give you more time and less stress to get there. As always, come early for extra networking or to help us set up! This month is all about photos, Flickr, photo-sharing, and ideas for how to use photo-sharing to build your brand and connect with user-generated content.
The Featured Speaker is Joe Philipson (pictured at right), who will be talking advanced uses of Flickr, the photo-sharing and networking site. Joe is a photographer who also understands social networking and is a rare breed who can shoot an event and get the images posted to social networks almost simultaneously.
He also recently crossed the USA on a bicycle as part of RealGeeksRide where he posted pictures about this adventure to encourage geeks to use bicycle transportation. Please visit Joe’s websites for more information.
Howto Speaker: Jeanne-Marie Viggiano
Jeanne-Marie had an successful career as Art Director and Marketing Director in the fashion industry in New York City for over 15 years before moving to Hawai?i in 2007 to pursue photography. She is a relatively new user to Flickr and will tell us why she set up an account and will help us “crowd source” the conversation about the many ways to use Flickr for personal and business use.
NonProfit Social Media Project Update :
We have been busy helping get our nonprofit, Ma Ka Hana Ka ʻIke, get active on the social web. Please take a moment and check out the progress on their new WordPress blog:
Rick will be joining us live (courtesy of Hawaiian Airlines and the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio Hotel) to update us on their progress.
Our meetings are free and open to the public. We meet to share and develop best practices for using social media and social networks to build our personal brands, our businesses, and support our community. The Hawaii chapter is part of the international organization, Social Media Club, with over 40 active chapters worldwide.
5:30 â€“ 6:00 pm ~ Optional Networking and Meeting Setup
6:00 – 6:10 pm ~ Welcome & Announcements
6:10 – 6:40 pm ~ Feature: Joe Philipson: Using Flickr as a Business Tool
6:40 â€“ 6:55 pm ~ Networking & Refreshment Break
6:55 â€“ 7:10 pm ~ Howto: Jeanne-Marie Viggiano: Setting up a Flickr Account
7:10 – 7:30 pm ~ Update with our nonprofit, Hanabuild.org, Open Mic, & Conversation
Live Video Stream
If the Internet cooperates, we will be live-streaming here.
Parking is available in the rear, or if full, you can use the empty lot around the block on Niu St. (Kalakaua then left on Pau to Ala Wai to Niu). Here is a Google map to give you the visual orientation.
ING DIRECT Cafe
1958 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, HI
A few more important reminders!
- Bring your business cards and your business colleagues!
- We have started an informal lending library. Bring a book if you want to share. Please return any books you have borrowed previously as we like to keep the checkout period to one month.
- If you blog or Twitter about this event, please tag it: #smchi
- If you take pictures, please join our Flickr group, add your meeting photos to our pool, and tag them with “smchi”.
- Speaking of pictures, social media events generally have people taking photos, live-streaming video, and posting real time updates on Twitter and their blogs. We can assist if you prefer to stay under the radar; just speak to any of us before the meeting begins.
- Mahalo to Cleo Brown and ING DIRECT for hosting our event and providing valet parking at their spectacular space.
Update Oct 7: ShaneRobinson has volunteered to be our live photographer for this event. Thank you Shane! Who wants to be our live tweeter or live blogger?